UI/UX & Web developer with over 10 years experience.
BA Mod. in Computer Science and MPhil in Music & Media Technologies, from Trinity College Dublin.
Python & Django, MySQL, PHP - 4 years
Backend Technologies: J2EE, GoogleWebToolkit, Struts & JSP, .NET/VB/C# - 3 Years
Tools: Eclipse, Subversion & Git, Ant & buildout.
RTE Digital - 2011 - PRESENT:
Django & Front End Developer.
- https://login.rte.ie/ - a federated login/single sign on solution for user identification on the RTE suite of sites.
- http://www.rte.ie/news/ - replaced the existing statically published solution with a Django driven engine & templates and updated audio/video section.
- http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/ - 5 micro-sites, with user generated content sections, competitions, recipes database, etc. All powered by Django with custom admin interfaces and complete redesign.
- Reverbeo - consulting & initial build of translation proxy application, in Django with MySQL, memcache and Google translate API.
- Inishtech & Ergo - 2 similar jobs: Front-end design, build & integration with modern, fluid layout & improved UX, on top of a C# .NET application. Using html5, css3 jQuery with backbone & underscore. A banking application for Ergo, Software licensing application with Inishtech.
- Irish Composers Collective & North East MS Therapy Centre - 2 quick Wordpress sites for these charities, design & build of custom themes with gallery, contact, podcast and calendar plugins with some customisation.
- Atomic/HB & Lyons: “Happy Days”: A photo upload competition system on Facebook for HB Ice cream. “Tea Spinner”: A Flash based Facebook application for Lyons Tea.
Flash, PHP & jQuery with Facebook API integration.
- Convention Centre Dublin - interactive touchscreen tables - dynamic, Flash-powered installations in the convention centre, featuring games, movies, maps, news, info, etc. Flash & AS3 development with Fountainhead design.
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, GRAVITATE DIGITAL MEDIA, DUBLIN - 2006-2009:
Gravitate was a web & multimedia design company with a range of different CMS solutions in place when I joined them. I became Technical Director with the consolidation and further development of a generalised Content Management System & eCommerce platforms for all Gravitate sites. Responsibilities included: core development, site design, project planning & management, liaising with clients.
- The custom built, design-oriented CMS & eCommerce platforms, using PHP & MySQL with Realex & Paypal integration, shopping cart, customisable catalogue, page editing, news feeds, calendar, newsletters, etc.
- Irish School of Motoring - using the CMS system, eCommerce & voucher system & booking engine.
- www.channel6.ie - (now part of TV3), a custom build or an independent station, including TV Schedule management & RSS feeds, Video publishing, Discussion boards, Competitions, News and general CMS
- Murphys.com & www.murphyslive.com - site & CMS or main corporate site, and an all-Ireland battle-of-the-bands competition, with mp3 uploads for the competition entry; profile pages; ticket-booking for the gigs; video publishing; etc...
LEAD APPLICATION DEVELOPER, ADWALKER PLC, DUBLIN - 2003-2006
The Adwalker platform was effectively a ‘digital sandwich board’ - an out of home, interactive advertising & marketing platform.
As part of the start-up team, I drove the technical development and R&D for the hardware, software and network elements of the platform. This included the portable controller unit with touch screen, printer & magnetic card swipe, 3G/Wifi cards and daylight viewable main screen. A Flash front end and Apache web server backend, with a VB kiosk application controller. Videos, games, data collection applications, printing, etc.
On the server, a JBoss application connected to the units for on- & off-line synchronisation, monitoring complete campaign process, collecting data, data-mining, reports, pushing new content out to the control units on the network.
MULTIMEDIA DEVELOPER, RAWSHOT NEW MEDIA, DUBLIN - 2001
Web & Flash development for games including multiplayer networked games on a Java sockets server.
DEVELOPER, DATASOFT, DUBLIN - 1999
Y2K upgrades, automated batch script development in PowerFlex language for upgrades to account software systems.
Trinity College Dublin — MPhil. in Music & Media Technologies, grad. 2011
Thesis: “The Xtave,” a new notation/graphical scoring method for music based on Fourier Analysis & Cognitive Science, to be more intuitive and universal than previous systems.
Expression Midi Effects Controller built with Arduino, accelerometer and gyroscope for motion controlled digital effects.
Trinity College Dublin — BA Mod. in Computer Science, grad. 2002.
Final Year modules: Computer Graphics and Artificial Intelligence.
Final Year project: Music Creation with AI & Fractals (a web based application, implemented in Tomcat & Java for generation of MIDI files, and using a simple web form to control feedback & learning).
Electronics: Arduino, Raspberry Pi, 3D Printing, robotics
Music: Guitar, bass and synth, composer/home producer.
Video, Digital Photography, Painting
Examples available on http://symbollix.org
Available up on request.